TagsPremiership NewsAbout the authorIan FerrisShare the loveHave your say 4.5 million UK people watch pirated Premier League gamesby Ian Ferris11 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveNine per cent of Britons admit to having illegally streamed at least one Premier League game over the past 12 months, according to new research by the personal finance comparison site finder.com, reports, www.sportspromedia.com/.The figure equates to roughly 4.5 million people over the course of a single season, with a ‘high proportion’ of UK pirate content consumption coming from soccer-related streaming.According to Finder.com’s research, more than 81 per cent of Britons have been subscribed to a streaming service in some capacity over the last year, while 17 per cent admit to streaming films, movies or sports illegally in the same period.’This means that of all those who illegally stream across the UK, 24 per cent view Premier League games,’ the report said. ‘When you look at the numbers of people who illegally stream any type of sport, the number rises to 44 per cent of illegal streamers, or 16 per cent of all Brits.’While both male (83 per cent) and female (81 per cent) respondents said they are streaming content over the last year, men (25 per cent) tended to illegally stream more often compared to women (17 per cent), according to the research.Of these, 14 per cent of male audiences were found to illegally stream soccer compared to other sports (12 per cent), and is double the number of female viewers who admitted to doing the same. Meanwhile, streamers aged between 25 and 34 are the most likely to illicitly stream Premier League matches.Regionally, London-based consumers are the most prolific for illegally streaming Premier League (21 per cent), with Scotland (17 per cent) coming second. The two regions with the lowest percentage of illegal football streamers were Wales (four per cent) and East Anglia (six per cent).
DURHAM, NC – OCTOBER 14: A detailed view of a helmet worn by the Florida State Seminoles during their game against the Duke Blue Devils at Wallace Wade Stadium on October 14, 2017 in Durham, North Carolina. (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)Florida State lost a big commitment today. Isaac Nauta, a five-star tight end in the 2016 class, announced on Twitter that he has de-committed from the Seminoles’ program. FSU fans shouldn’t worry, though, according to five-star defensive back commit Levonta Taylor. Taylor, who has been committed to FSU since April, says Nauta will “be back” and tells fans “don’t worry!” He’ll be back. Don’t worry !— Levonta Taylor (@iamlevonta) July 28, 2015Well, that’s a good sign, Florida State fans. The Seminoles’ 2016 class is ranked the No. 3 class in the country by 247 Sports.
National titleCollege football fans are likely happy with Michigan’s quick turnaround under Jim Harbaugh – simply because a good Wolverines team makes the sport more interesting. But apparently, a lot of them are actually starting to believe that UM can both reach this year’s College Football Playoff and – wait for it – win it all too.According to ESPN’s David Payne Purdum, the top five teams by number of bets to win the national title at the Las Vegas SuperBook are Michigan, Ohio State, LSU, Clemson and Alabama. That’s right – the Wolverines are getting the most bets to win it all.Of course – that’s a product of both hype and odds. As of February 1, Michigan was a 12-1 bet to win it all. Alabama was tops, at 6:1.Top 5 teams to win the college football national title by number of bets @LVSuperBook: 1. Michigan 2. Ohio St 3. LSU 4. Clemson 5. Alabama— David Payne Purdum (@DavidPurdum) May 20, 2016Oklahoma and Baylor are the teams with the best odds that aren’t part of the list, for what it’s worth.If Michigan does win it all, Las Vegas is going to have a rough night. We’ll find out.
TORONTO – Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc. says it’s too early to tell what long-term impact dumping the embattled Aeroplan loyalty program at its Esso branded convenience stores will have, but the time it took for the brand to switch to the PC Optimum program has already hampered sales.The Quebec-based retailer behind Circle K stores said in an earnings call on Thursday that it only ended the Aeroplan program on May 31 and PC Optimum wasn’t implemented until August, so the company has had little time to see how the gap will change consumer habits.“We are pretty optimistic,” said the company’s chief financial officer Claude Tessier. “We know generally that loyalty programs have a positive impact on sales.”However, the company’s earnings show the two-month gap between switching to PC Optimum hurt the brand, at least a little.Couche-Tard said the gap contributed to a 3.3 per cent decrease in same-store road transportation fuel volumes in its first quarter, which ended July 22.Still, overall fuel volumes in Canada were up 10.5 per cent, while global volumes increased 32 per cent, as fuel revenues rose to US$10.9 billion from $6.8 billion a year earlier.During the quarter, Couche-Tard, which reports in U.S. dollars, saw a 25 per cent spike in net income attributable to shareholders to $455.5 million from $364.7 million a year earlier.Revenues grew to $14.8 billion from $9.84 billion the year before.The company said its adjusted profit excluding one-time items was $498 million or 88 cents per diluted share, compared with $381 million or 67 per cents per share in the first quarter of 2018.Couche-Tard was expected to earn 82 cents per share in adjusted profits on $13.9 billion in revenues according to analysts polled by Thomson Reuters Eikon.Executives attributed the quarter’s strength to a 6.6 per cent increase in same-store merchandise revenue in Canada, a strong performance of its CST Canada sites acquired a year ago, higher taxes on cigarettes and other tobacco products, and an expansion of its coffee pilot loyalty program.Couche-Tard President Brian Hannasch said the company also saw “significant” growth in tobacco products in the quarter in the U.S., especially in-house tobacco brands, vapour, powdered tobacco placed inside the upper lip and cigars.“Some of this is attributable to manufacturing innovation…but it’s also reflective of our merchandising, the speed at which we’ve been activating new offers and emerging brands, and how we are presenting these offers to our consumers at our stores,” he told analysts.He said the company’s earnings were also lifted by the brand’s food offerings in Canada, which include its baked-on-site products and hot dogs.In Europe, the company’s ice coffee offering that is being tested in multiple locations was seeing “good customer acceptance so far” and was being aided by a hot summer, he said.Keith Howlett of Desjardins Capital Markets said the results beat analyst expectations largely because of higher U.S. fuel margins.“Couche-Tard’s same-store sales performance was substantially superior to that of U.S. peers,” he wrote in a report.On the Toronto Stock Exchange, Couche-Tard’s shares gained 5.26 per cent or $3.32 at C$66.47 in midday trading.Companies in this story: (TSX:ATD.B)
New Delhi: Ricky Ponting Tuesday unequivocally backed Rishabh Pant for the number four slot in India’s World Cup line-up and even saw him as one capable of winning the tournament. Former India skipper Sourav Ganguly marked the young wicketkeeper-batsman as one for the future, calling him a “huge asset”. With little over two months to go for the World Cup and the number four batsman yet to be decided, it could now boil down to performance in the Indian Premier League, according to Ganguly. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over Chandigarh But Ponting, a two-time World Cup winning Australian captain, left nothing to doubt when discussions turned to Pant. “The first thing I would do is pick him in that Indian squad for the World Cup, I would play him as a batter, I would play him at number four. He is the sort of guy, with that kind of talent, he can win you a World Cup, he has just got that x-factor,” Ponting said. Ganguly added, “Anybody who wants to succeed in shorter formats of the game he has to go up, we have seen the best in world do that. If you send Rishabh at number four, he will score runs for you because he is so talented, he has got so much time to play. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced later “In his short career he has been remarkable for India and once he starts getting opportunity consistently, he will be a top player.” Pant had a terrific start to his Test career, becoming the first Indian wicketkeeper to score centuries in England and Australia, but there is a perception that he hasn’t showed the temperament or tasted as much success in the shorter formats. During an interaction organised by the Delhi Capitals, Ganguly didn’t agree with the viewpoint. “Look at the way he played in the IPL last year, he got a full tournament, 14 games, and he was probably the second highest run-getter in the IPL last year. “The problem with him in shorter formats is that he doesn’t get regular cricket because you have a champion in MS Dhoni who actually plays most of the shorter formats, so Rishabh is coming in and going out all the time and that’s never good for anybody, however quality a player you are,” Ganguly said. Pant’s exploits with the willow has the taken the cricket world by storm in recent months. Ganguly said, “The reason he succeeds in Test cricket is because he plays consistently. How many Indian wicketkeeper-batsmen have got Test hundreds in England and Australia, and he scored them at ease. It’s not that he struggled, it’s not that he looked out of place against fast bowling. “For me, he is your future. For the next 10 years, you will see that boy a lot in all formats of the game and not because he plays for Delhi, he can play for anyone he wants to.” Pant will be eyeing a successful IPL with the rechristened Delhi Capitals. “Just the serious talent he is, he is a hard worker, I have been watching him at nets for the last four years, he is always the first one to come out and bat for longer periods. He will be huge asset to Indian cricket in the years to come,” said Ganguly.
Fernando Torres has insisted that he is more focused on winning his first title at Atletico Madrid, rather than think about the lack of minutes he has received this seasonLos Colchoneros will be facing Arsenal at the Emirates for the first leg of their semi-final clash in the Europa league with the Gunners determined to win the trophy for the departing Arsene Wenger.But Torres, who himself will be leaving his beloved Atletico at the end of this season, is hopeful of overcoming Arsenal and finally winning his first piece of silverware with his boyhood club.“I prefer to think about possibly winning my first title with Atletico,” answered Torres, when asked about how many minutes he’s getting, as reported on Marca.“It doesn’t help to think about other things.“It’s important that we’re all excited about being two games away from a European final.”The former Liverpool and Chelsea forward paid tribute to his former international teammate Andres Iniesta, who is set to confirm his future plans within the week.“Iniesta hasn’t announced his future yet, but he’s earned the right to decide,” he confirmed.“He left his family when he was young in order to fulfil a dream, everyone will respect his choice.Merson believes Arsenal should sign Sancho Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho might be the perfect player to play for the Gunners, according to former England international Paul Merson.“It’ll be a great loss for LaLiga if Iniesta isn’t here, he’s been performing at the top for so many years.“I’ll be both happy and sad should he decide to leave.”Torres is aware that Atletico cannot take Arsenal’s struggles this season for granted.“Our squad is showing a fantastic attitude at present,” he admitted.“It’s difficult to drop LaLiga to think about the Europa League and vice versa, but the team is trying to do it and that’s helping us grow.“Thursday is one of the most important games we’ve had.“We know that, we know how to play in England and it will be a privilege to fight for that trophy.”
Juventus new signing Mattia Caldara has revealed that Mario Mandzukic is ‘the toughest player I’ve marked’ as his ‘most impressive opponent’ was Douglas Costa.“The objective is to play as much as possible. I’m aware that it’ll be complicated, but I’ll try to play for my chances and show I’m worthy of this jersey,” he said via Football Italia.“Family? Without them, I wouldn’t be here. I’ve always been close to them during times of difficulty, so I thank them, as well as my girlfriend, who is always close to me.“I’m lucky to be surrounded by people who love me. Gasperini? He gave me so much in these two years, he told me not to be afraid and to show my qualities.“I’ll always be indebted to him. Without him I wouldn’t be here because he extracted from me something me that I didn’t even think I had.Fiorentina owner: “Ribery played better than Ronaldo!” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Fiorentina owner Rocco Commisso was left gushing over Franck Ribery’s performance against Juventus, which he rates above that of even Cristiano Ronaldo’s.“The toughest player I’ve marked? It’s always been Mandzukic in terms of physicality and character.“Ronaldo? It’s better that I don’t have to think about marking him! Thank goodness he’s my teammate…“Allegri? I understood him immediately because he’s won so much. He knows how to manage great players, he knows when to have a joke and when to be strict.“We haven’t said much until now, but he also agreed with my arrival. Most impressive opponent? Douglas Costa.“He always gets past at least two players, he’s phenomenal. I lived those games [against Juve] with even more motivation because I wanted to show that I was good enough for them.”
Former England goalkeeper Rob Green has emerged as a shock target for Chelsea in a free transfer, reports talkSPORTThe Blues are on the hunt for a new goalkeeper this summer with current number one Thibaut Courtois edging closer than ever to completing a dream move to Real Madrid.In light of this, Chelsea have rather surprisingly offered Green to chance to continue his playing career for at least one more season by acting as cover for them.The 38-year-old spent last season on the bench at fellow Premier League side Huddersfield and was released by the club at the end of last season.Chelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.With few options available, Green had contemplated calling time on his rapidly declining career.But in a new twist, the former Queens Park Rangers goalkeeper could now be set to make a return to London this summer with Chelsea and will compete with Argentina international Willy Caballero for the No.1 jersey at Stamford Bridge.Both Stoke City’s Jack Butland and new AC Milan signing Pepe Reina have also been linked with moves to Chelsea.