Sudesh Amman, the man shot dead by police in what officials described as a terrorism incident in south London, had been jailed for promoting violent Islamist material and had encouraged his girlfriend to behead her parents.Amman, 20, was named by British police as the attacker who stabbed two people before he was shot dead by armed officers who had been carrying out surveillance on him.In November 2018 he pleaded guilty to possession of terrorist documents and disseminating terrorist publications, and the following month he was sentenced to more than three years in prison. He was 17 and living at home with his mother and younger siblings when he first began committing terrorism offences, according to authorities. Police became aware of his activities in April 2018 and he was arrested by armed officers in a north London street a month later.When officers examined his computers and phone, they found he had downloaded material about making explosives and carrying out terrorist attacks, according to police.Messages showed that he had discussed with his family, friends and girlfriend his extreme views and desire to carry out an attack, often focused on using a knife, police said.In December 2017 Amman posted a picture of Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who was killed during a U.S. raid in Syria in October, and told his brother in a message that “the Islamic State is here to stay.”He also described Yazidi women as slaves and said the Quran made it permissible to rape them, and in another message he encouraged his girlfriend to behead her parents.Police said he had shared an online al-Qaeda magazine with his family and while in a discussion about school with a sibling he wrote he would “rather blow myself up”. Topics :
Twice a year, cleaning teams using long sticks gouge out tens of thousands of written prayers that visitors traditionally cram into the crevices of Judaism’s Western Wall in Jerusalem.It was spring cleaning again at the wall on Tuesday. But this time, the rite was held with precautions against coronavirus infection in place.Workers in hazmat suits and gas masks sprayed sanitizer on the wall’s ancient stones while others held onto their sticks with gloves as they extracted the paper notes left in “God’s mailbox”. Religious authorities also operate a service in which people can email their prayers for placement between the stones.One would-be worshipper, who stepped up to the wall and kissed it, was removed by police, a day after Israel tightened public prayer restrictions.The Rabbi of the Western Wall, Shmuel Rabinowitz, who oversees the collection of the notes to ensure there’s always room for more, offered a prayer for salvation “from this difficult virus that has attacked the world”.The papers were placed into bags for ritual burial on Jerusalem’s Mount of Olives. A short distance away from the Western Wall, al-Aqsa mosque was also being sanitized.The Western Wall is a remnant of the compound of the Second Temple that was destroyed in 70 AD. It stands today beneath a religious plaza revered by Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary and by Jews as the Temple Mount. Topics :
Latest Posts Hospice volunteers help families navigate grief and find hope – September 12, 2020 Latest posts by Mike Mandell (see all) BAR HARBOR — A new era of Mount Desert Island football last season saw some early growing pains. The way the Trojans ended the year, though, is still energizing them more than 10 months later.One year removed from their second consecutive No. 1 playoff seed and Northern Maine title game, the Trojans had their hands full entering 2018 as they had to replace one of their largest and most accomplished senior classes along with a legendary head coach. With a tough schedule that included four straight contests against the top-four teams in the conference, MDI lost five of its first six games.Then, in MDI’s Week 7 game against John Bapst, things clicked for the Trojans with the offense bulldozing the Crusaders on the ground and the defense recording three interceptions in a 52-8 win. MDI was just as dominant the following week, holding Belfast to negative rushing yards and using a balanced effort on offense to win 56-14.The Belfast game proved to be MDI’s last of the season as the Trojans finished mere percentage points short of the last Class C North playoff spot in the Heals. Yet after enduring a series of tough early losses, the players haven’t forgotten the feeling of finishing the year with a pair of blowout victories.MDI’s Aiden Grant carries the ball during a controlled high school football scrimmage against Belfast on Aug. 26 in Bar Harbor. The Trojans have 37 players on this year’s roster. ELLSWORTH AMERICAN PHOTO BY MIKE MANDELLThis is placeholder textThis is placeholder text“That energy [from those games] has carried over to this season,” junior Baylor Landsman said. “Those of us who came back, we know what we can do when we come together as a team because of what we dug deep and did at the end of last year.”MDI began last season with a new head coach, Mark Arnold, following Mark Shields’ decision to step down from the post in January. Shields’ retirement coincided with the departure of the 2018 graduating class, whose 18-4 record over its final two seasons included a Northern Maine championship win in 2016 and a regional runner-up finish the following year.Last season’s Trojans did have several seniors to whom they could turn, including Gilbert Isaacs, who would be named Big 11 Conference Lineman of the Year, and Elijah Joyce, who led the conference in rushing. Yet with freshmen and sophomores comprising 20 of the 33 players on MDI’s roster, the Trojans were still a relatively young squad that had to adapt quickly to the varsity environment.“A lot of us sophomores last year didn’t have that confidence at the start because we weren’t used to going out there, getting hit and having to get back up,” Landsman said. “Later on last year and now coming in this year, that confidence is there for us because we know how to deal with that.”Despite the 1-5 start, MDI showed flashes of potential all season; the offense scored 30 points in the team’s Week 1 loss to Oceanside, and the defense shut out Hampden Academy a week later before holding its own against powerhouses Maine Central Institute and Winslow. Even after defeats to Hermon in Week 5 and Nokomis in Week 6, the Trojans felt close to a breakthrough.“We were working hard and really wanting to win, and we knew we were getting better even though we were losing to good teams,” junior Hunter Gray said. “At the end of the season, we found where we were supposed to be, and I think that’s stayed with us.”MDI’s Baylor Landsman drops back to pass during a controlled high school football scrimmage against Belfast on Aug. 26 in Bar Harbor. The Trojans hosted a Belfast, Orono and Washington Academy in Monday’s preseason jamboree. ELLSWORTH AMERICAN PHOTO BY MIKE MANDELLGray, an honorable mention All-Big 11 selection who averaged 5.5 yards per carry last year, is one of MDI’s top choices to take over the top spot at running back, though Aiden Grant, Ethan Harkins and Sam Mitchell will also contribute at the position. Landsman, who shined against Oceanside and Belfast, is back at quarterback, and Porter Isaacs, another All-Big 11 honorable mention recipient, will anchor the offensive line.Given the loss of Joyce at running back and linebacker and the standout play of Gilbert Isaacs, Adam Burdzel and Sam Hoff in the trenches, MDI will still have work to do to replicate some of last year’s production. Fortunately, with a roster of 37 healthy players and record turnouts at summer practices and workouts, the team has taken significant steps in finding athletes who can do so.“This is a lot more [players] than we usually have,” Gray said. “Usually, we have about 20 guys at the beginning of the season, but we have a lot of kids who have stayed all summer, and it’s really good to see that.”Those numbers bode well for football’s future at MDI, which has been able to split into varsity and junior varsity units in practices. The program contemplated a move to the new eight-man class in the offseason, but with a freshman class of 14 players and solid numbers at the sophomore and junior levels, Arnold is feeling comfortable with the Trojans’ decision to stay in Class C.“We’ve gotten a couple of new upperclassmen who can make an impact in terms of our varsity team, but it’s really our incoming freshman class and a couple of kids in our sophomore class that’s given us a nice influx in numbers,” Arnold said. “Not only are we going to play 11-man varsity this year, but we’re hoping we’ve got enough kids to keep that going in the future.”MDI’s first game will be at home against Stearns/Schenck at 7 p.m. next Friday, Sept. 6. Ahead of that contest, the Trojans held a jamboree play day against Belfast, Orono and Washington Academy on Monday and will host Hampden Academy in an exhibition game at 7 p.m. tonight, Aug. 30.So far, Arnold has liked what he’s seen on the field.MDI’s Sam Keblinsky powers through the Belfast defense during a controlled high school football scrimmage Aug. 26 in Bar Harbor. ELLSWORTH AMERICAN PHOTO BY MIKE MANDELL“I’m really happy with where we’re at right now,” Arnold said. “The kids have been learning a lot, and even though we lost some guys, I’m hoping that the way we ended last year is going to give them a boost.”Orono cancels varsity football seasonMDI and Bucksport had their 2019 football schedules thrown for a loop Wednesday as Orono elected to forego its entire varsity season.Orono, which has battled low numbers in recent years, has 18 players on its roster and dressed just 15 for Saturday’s scrimmage against Washington Academy, according to the Bangor Daily News. The school will play a JV schedule this year in lieu of its previous slate of opponents.“We apologize for the inconvenience that this creates for our 2019 opponents,” Orono Athletic Director Mike Archer said in a press release. “I will work with Big East Commissioner Bunky Dow to assist in filling the void with other opponents due to the void we have created in their schedules.”Following the announcement, MDI filled its newly vacant Sept. 20 slot by moving its originally scheduled opener at Old Town to 7 p.m. that evening. The Trojans will now open the season next Friday against their former Week 4 opponent, Stearns/Schenck, and host a new opponent, Dexter, on Sept. 27.As of Friday afternoon, Bucksport had not specified whether it would attempt to find a new opponent or reduce its schedule to seven games. The Golden Bucks were scheduled to travel to Orono on Oct. 18. Bio Ellsworth runners compete in virtual Boston Marathon – September 16, 2020 Mike MandellMike Mandell is the sports editor at The Ellsworth American and Mount Desert Islander. He began working for The American in August 2016. You can reach him via email at [email protected] MPA approves golf, XC, field hockey, soccer; football, volleyball moved to spring – September 10, 2020
Share Spotlight delivers Racing Post translated services for Pari-Engineering Russia August 26, 2020 Submit Related Articles Successful summer leaves Leadstar positive over industry’s recovery August 18, 2020 Share StumbleUpon Premier League looks to broadcast every behind-closed-door fixture August 28, 2020 Spotlight Sports Group will begin the new Premier League season (start date – 12 September) by delivering ‘uninterrupted studio commentaries’ for its customers, covering all 2020/2021 matches.The betting content services provider stated that it will deliver its ‘most comprehensive EPL matchday commentary service’ to date, helping bookmakers engage with global audiences.Spotlight’s expanded service will offer EPL match commentaries in up to 15 languages, delivered instantly through its plug and play solution.Supporting its matchday service, Spotlight Sports Group will maintain over 200 expert content writers, delivering football betting previews and pre-play analysis specially designed to enhance a sportsbook or blog site to engage customers before kick-off. Spotlight Sports Group head of digital Will Fyler said: ‘’With football across Europe still behind closed doors our goal is to keep betting audiences informed with all the most relevant and compelling insights. Our commentaries and content are delivered in a host of languages and formats to achieve that.”A revamped Spotlight stated that it has bolstered its content resources to match its bookmaker operations, which are required to cater their betting markets for diverse global audiences. Further football developments have seen Spotlight amplify its ‘Intellr In-play’ solution, providing sportsbooks with in-game betting tips based on match events and outcomes.Gearing up for a new European football season, Spotlight confirmed that it will deliver the most advanced and comprehensive football content algorithm, as Intellr covers 90 leagues in over 70 languages. Fyler continued: “With the in-play market so critical to bookmakers, and customers unable to watch or stream all matches, our research shows that those listening to the match are likely to stay on sites for longer and therefore are placing more in-play bets.“In addition to our commentaries, our Intellr product also provides a continual stream of relevant, contextual, in-play betting stimulation. We believe our football packages can suit every sportsbook, drive engagement and increase turnover.”
Ghana President, H.E. John Mahama made a surprise visit to see Ghana’s World Cup squad in training on Wednesday, telling the players that they have the country’s support.The Black Stars, who are chasing their third consecutive appearance at the finals must navigate past Egypt over two-legs to reach Brazil.The President turned up as Kwesi Appiah’s players were done practising at the Accra Stadium.He spent time chatting with the coach and the entire Black Stars squad after watching the final minutes of the team’s train session in the morning.”Let’s focus on this match. I took time off to see you. I am the chief supporter of your team, the leader of this country and to tell you that the whole country is solidly behind you.”Whatever we will do, is to support you to win this match. We will do our bit but all of us cant go on the pitch so those who are going to represent us can expect nothing but our support. “I want to thank you very much, I wish you good luck. We count on you, we will pray for you, we know God is on our side. We will pray to the almighty God to give you victory,” President Mahama said as he addressed the Black Stars team.Present at the training grounds were the Sports Minister Elvis Afriyie Ankra and President of the Ghana Football Association Kwesi Nyantakyi.