Syracuse men’s soccer fails to register shot on goal in loss to Marquette

first_img Published on October 17, 2010 at 12:00 pm Comments Facebook Twitter Google+center_img The Syracuse men’s soccer team (2-6-5, 0-2-3 Big East) remains winless in Big East play after it fell 3-0 on the road against Marquette (5-4-4, 2-1-2) Saturday. For the first time all season, the Orange did not register a shot on goal. Marquette goalkeeper David Check got his sixth shutout of the season without making a single save. Syracuse tallied just one shot in the first half and was outshot 14-9 throughout the game. Similar to the South Florida game, the contest was a hard-fought 1-0 game up until the final 15 minutes. Marquette got on the board early in the 19th minute on a brilliant outside-of-the-foot goal by Calum Mallace, but the Orange defense gathered itself from that point forward. But as it was against the Bulls, a penalty kick gave the Golden Eagles its second goal of the match in the 83rd minute. Again it was Mallace who found the back of the net. He leads the Big East in shots with more than four per game.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Just 4:36 seconds later, Marquette added its third and final goal when Paul Dillon’s shot deflected off an SU defender and past goalkeeper Jeremy Vuolo. Midfielders Nick Roydhouse and Mark Brode and forward Brett Jankouskas led the Orange with two shots each. In its five Big East games this season, the Orange still has not scored a goal. It is the only team without a goal in conference play. Nonetheless, SU currently sits in fifth place in the Big East’s Red Division and would make the Big East tournament if the season ended today. Up next for the Orange is a trip to Villanova on Wednesday. The Wildcats (7-5-2, 3-1-1) are one spot above Syracuse in the Red Division standings. Field Hockey For the first time all season, the Syracuse field hockey team won two consecutive road games with victories over Stanford and Georgetown on Friday and Saturday. The No. 8 Orange (10-4, 4-0 Big East) began its final road trip of the season with a 2-1 overtime win over the No. 20 Cardinal in Albany, then obliterated the Hoyas 11-0 in Washington, D.C. The Orange was still without three of the four starters who have not played in two weeks due to reasons undisclosed by the team, but senior back Maggie Befort returned to action in both games. The Cardinal tallied the only goal of the first half as it hit a shot off of a penalty corner past freshman goalkeeper Rachel Sayer, who was making her second career start. Sayer would not surrender another goal for the rest of the game, and the Orange came roaring back in the second half. Sophomore back Amy Kee took a penalty corner pass from Befort and scored with under 10 minutes remaining to tie the game and force the decisive overtime period. Junior forward Heather Susek capitalized on an extra-man opportunity just under 13 minutes into overtime, taking the pass from freshman midfielder Leonie Geyer to end the game. Sayer made six saves for SU and helped shut the Cardinal down after the Orange was outshot 17-12. The victory over Georgetown had none of the thrilling elements of the previous day’s win, but provided a spotlight for an offensive explosion in the nation’s capital. Befort recorded a hat trick and was one of six SU players to find the back of the net. Kee, Susek, Geyer and junior midfield Nicole Nelson also scored, while freshman forward Ashtin Klingler scored the first two goals of her career. The Orange outshot the Hoyas 34-0 and outgained its conference foe 16-0 in penalty corners. Sayer and freshman goalkeeper Natasha Constantine both saw action for SU, but did not have to make any saves. The conference win ensures the Orange a spot in the Big East championship in Connecticut, but there is still work to be done. SU will face No. 5 UConn and No. 14 Boston College at J.S. Coyne Stadium on Oct. 23 and Oct. 24 as part of a three-game home swing to end the regular season. — Compiled by The Daily Orange Sports stafflast_img read more