Stung by a series of scam charges and Income Tax raids against his family members, Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad on Friday declared that he would uproot the Narendra Modi government at the Centre “before it completes its five-year term.” He also accused the BJP of conspiring to tarnish his image through I-T raids and making “frivolous allegations” against his sons and daughter.“Listen, BJP/RSS people, Lalu will drag you off your seat in Delhi, whatever be my situation… Get this straight… don’t you dare threaten me,” tweeted Lalu Prasad. ‘Where’s the proof?’ On the recent Income Tax raids against his family members and others in connection with several “dubious” land deals, Mr. Prasad’s second tweet asked: “Chapa…Chapa…Chapa…Chapa…kiska Chapa? Kisko Chapa? Chapa to hum marenge 2019 mein…Main dusron ka hausla digata hun, mera kaun digayega (Raid…Raid… Raid… whose raid? Who is being raided? … I’ll do a raid in 2019…I make others nervous, who will make me nervous?). Mr. Prasad asked the media to name the 22 places where Income Tax officials had conducted raids. “How did they [the media] report without any verification or evidence,” he asked. Speaking to a select group of journalists in Patna, the RJD chief said the Modi government had completed three years. “But it’s not going to complete its full five-year term… The BJP has been conspiring to tarnish Lalu’s reputation… How can my family and I become super rich and others remain paupers .. It’s all part of a political conspiracy.” Mr. Prasad said he, his wife and two sons had been filing I-T returns and had also submitted affidavits on their assets to the Election Commission. “It’s all in the public domain.” Mr. Prasad said Mr. Modi was trying to divide the country. “But we won’t let him divide the country … I’m standing rock solid in their path.” Pan-India campaignThe RJD chief said he had called a “BJP bhagao, Desh bachao” rally in Patna on August 27. “I have invited top leaders of all non-BJP parties to my grand rally…leaders like Congress president Sonia Gandhi, H.D. Deve Gowda, Arvind Kejriwal, Mayawati, Akhilesh Yadav, Mamata Banerjee and Karunanidhi will attend the rally from where we will launch a pan-India campaign to uproot them [BJP] from the Centre,” Mr. Prasad said.He also raised the issues of beef ban and the volatile situation in Jammu and Kashmir. “Modi talks about beef ban, but in the last three years India has been the largest exporter of beef… In Kashmir, bodies of soldiers are being mutilated every day…Are these the real achievements of the Modi government?”
Guwahati: People excluded from the final NRC will get certified copies, regarding rejection of their names, at the earliest so that they can file their appeals, the office of the NRC state coordinator announced on Tuesday.The dates regarding distribution of exclusion certificates will be announced soon, NRC State Coordinator’s office tweeted. The process of collection of exclusion certificates from the NRC Seva Kendras are on, the notice added. The final NRC published on August 31 consisted only of Supplementary Lists and “queries are being received from the public about publication of all members of a family irrespective of their involvement in the claims and objections process” the tweet said. The final NRC was released with 19,06,657 of the total 3,30,27,661 applicants excluded and 3,11,22,004 included.
Boxing legend, Olympic Gold Medalist and 10-time world champion in six different weight classes Oscar De La Hoya gave the keynote Green Dot Public School’s Sixth Annual Golden Dot Awards on Saturday, May 5 at the California Science Center in recognition of the organization’s most outstanding teachers and staff from the last year.The Golden Dot Awards represent Green Dot’s annual teacher and staff appreciation event recognizing Principal of the Year; Teacher of the Year; Rising Star Teacher of the Year. Green Dot teachers, staff and administrators serve more than 15,000 students across the country each year.De La Hoya has been involved with Green Dot’s commitment to excellence in public school education since 2003 when the Oscar De La Hoya Animo Charter High School opened in Boyle Heights. The school bearing the boxing legend’s name was among the first five charter schools Green Dot opened with the goal to provide enhanced learning opportunities for young people in disadvantaged communities.The Oscar De La Hoya Animo Charter High School was the first public high school to be built in Boyle Heights in 80 years. Today, the Oscar De La Hoya Animo Charter High School is one of the top performing high schools in the country, thanks to the dedication of Green Dot’s excellent teachers, administrators and staff.“I’ve witnessed firsthand the difference Green Dot educators make through their devoted commitment to our students at the Oscar De La Hoya Animo Charter High School, not far from the neighborhood where I grew up,” De La Hoya remarked at Saturday’s event. “The level of dedication that Green Dot teachers, administrators and staff bring to their schools every day is truly inspiring. I’m in awe of the work they do and so thankful they are guiding the leaders of tomorrow and showing them what it looks like to work hard and succeed.”Green Dot Public Schools’ Golden Dot Awards recognizes educators and staff who are transforming the landscape of public education. Golden Dot Awards (aka “The Dotties”) are given to staff who exemplify Green Dot’s Core Values. As a result of the dedicated work of the entire team and their commitment to excellence in education, Green Dot graduated more than 1,600 students last year, the most of any charter management organization in the country, for the fourth year in a row.For more information, click here.
APTN National NewsPrime Minister Stephen Harper went to Winnipeg to participate in a round-table discussion on cyberbullying last week.But some claimed the worst bullying was going on at a Winnipeg hotel.Protesters inside the building, where Harper was supposed to meet with families, were pushed out by security and police.APTN’s Matt Thordarson has the story.MThordarson@aptn.caTwitter: @MattThor
Posted: April 24, 2018 April 24, 2018 SD County votes to layoff 38 full-time Animal Services employees SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — The San Diego County Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday to move forward with laying off 38 full-time Animal Services employees as part of a plan to shrink the department.The workers will be laid off on July 2 following the board’s decision in March 2017 to end the Animal Services contracts with the cities of Carlsbad, Del Mar, Encinitas, San Diego, Santee and Solana Beach. Fewer workers will be needed beginning in July when the department transitions to being responsible for shelters and enforcement services only in unincorporated communities, county officials said.The board voted unanimously — minus Supervisor Ron Roberts, who was absent — to approve a plan to eliminate 68 positions in the Animal Services Department.Thirty-eight of those positions are currently held by full-time county employees and include the assistant director and two deputy directors. The remaining jobs are either vacant or held by temporary employees, according to a staff report.The supervisors did not discuss the department shrinking, which has drawn ire from San Diego City Council members.The county’s plan hinged on private entities stepping in to perform animal control duties in cities like San Diego. Only one submitted a proposal: the San Diego Humane Society.The City Council’s Budget and Government Efficiency Committee last week advanced a proposal to have the society provide animal services within city limits.“The county is really disappointing us all — after 45 years just getting out of the business. We’re doing our best to pick up really big pieces here,” Councilman Chris Ward said.The county Human Resources Department will provide assistance and “transition services” to the laid-off employees.Meantime, the Humane Society recently posted 200 jobs in anticipation of contracting with the city of San Diego. Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom KUSI Newsroom,
Vijay Devarakonda and Rashmika Mandanna’s kissing scene in Dear ComradeScreenshot of YouTube videoActor Vijay Deverakonda has opened up on the controversy surrounding his lip-lock scene in Dear Comrade and expressed his displeasure over fans target Rashmika Mandanna over the video.The makers of Dear Comrade had released its teaser in Telugu, Malayalam, Tamil and Kannada on March 16. This first look video took social media by a storm and registered over five million views in less than 48 hours. It struck a chord with many viewers and generated a lot of hype and curiosity about its release.But some viewers were not happy with the lip-lock scene featured in the teaser of Dear Comrade and they had resorted to troll Rashmika Mandanna on the social media. They said that the movie deals with a serious subject and there was no need for a silly scene like lip-lock between the hero and heroine. They had even said that Vijay Deverakonda is serial kisser Emraan Hashmi of Telugu cinema.Vijay Deverakonda was little bothered about viewers calling Emraan Hashmi. Hence, he stayed away from responding to them. But he was said to be disturbed over his co-star Rashmika Mandanna being targeted with abusive words. “He never expected the Twitterati to go into a rant over a harmless kiss,” Deccan Chronicle quoted a source close to the actor as saying. Vijay Deverakonda and Rashmika Mandanna at Dear Comrade launchTwitterWhile he is used to raising hackles and eyebrows with his unorthodox roles and attitude, Vijay is appalled that his co-star is being targeted with unflattering comments. Dear Comrade has several moments of intimacy between Vijay and Rashmika. Now, he is in two minds as to how to deal with the intimacy quotient in Dear Comrade because he doesn’t want his leading lady to be targeted.”Most of the leading stars in Tollywood said no to intimate scenes with their co-stars as they are scared of being targets for the audience. “Should a kiss even be the reason for debate and discussion in a country plagued with much bigger problems?” asked the source.
A marine biologist films as members of the Cypriot department of fisheries and marine research enter a cave to collect data from cameras they installed to observe the habitat of the endangered mediterranean monk seal (Monachus monachuus) off the coast of Pegeia in western Cyprus on 23 May, 2018. Photo: AFPThe first eight boys rescued from a Thai cave are in good mental and physical health and are asking for chocolate, officials said Tuesday, although two were on antibiotics after being tested for pneumonia.”Everyone is in a good mental state,” Jesada Chokedamrongsuk, permanent secretary of the public health ministry, told reporters at Chiang Rai hospital.”None of the eight boys has fever today,” he added in the clearest update yet on the condition of the boys rescued from Tham Luang cave.The boys, aged 12-16, were the first to be extracted on Sunday and Monday, while the final four and their coach spent a 17th night inside.Experts had warned of possible long-lasting damage from the ordeal, either through psychological trauma or infections caught in the cave.Jesada said the group had been given x-rays and blood tests, adding that two presented suspected symptoms of pneumonia but were given antibiotics and were “in a normal state”.He said the group can eat, move about, and talk.”They (all the boys) will have to stay in the hospital for one week to wait for their results and to see if anything changes,” he said.Thongchai Lertwilairattanapong, Inspector General of the Public Health Ministry, said the first four boys taken out on Sunday were eating normal and plain food.”They’re asking for chocolate. We can see that everything is ok as they’re eating well,” he said.The boys remain in quarantine but some of their parents have been able to see their children through the glass.Thailand has been riveted by the dramatic rescue mission to save the “Wild Boars” team after they first got trapped in Tham Luang more than two weeks ago by rising floodwaters.Rescuers are racing to extract the rest of the squad and their coach as heavy rains pick back up in the northern province, threatening to complicate the last phase of the mission by reflooding the cave.
Listen X On Wednesday’s Houston Matters: Another hurricane season is just weeks away, and Harris County officials are trying to figure out how to reduce flooding at area bayous. News 88.7’s Gail Delaughter shares the latest on the White Oak Bayou. And Harris County officials are considering massive tunnels as a way to help with flooding. News 88.7’s Allison Lee has more.Also this hour: From Pres. Trump’s decision on the Iran nuclear deal, to Rudy Giuliani’s media blitz, to the details of Mayor Turner’s budget, our political experts weigh in on this week’s big stories with an eye for how they might affect Houston and Texas.Plus: A group of researchers, including some in Houston, want to map the genome of every living species on earth. We learn about the Earth BioGenome Project and the benefits that could come from it. And This American Life host Ira Glass is coming to Houston for a live stage show. He tells us about some of the lessons he’s learned in his career.WATCH: Today’s Houston Matters 360-Degree Facebook Live Video.We offer a free daily, downloadable podcast here, on iTunes, Stitcher and various other podcasting apps. This article is part of the Houston Matters podcast Share To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: 00:00 /50:40