Stung by a series of scam charges and Income Tax raids against his family members, Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad on Friday declared that he would uproot the Narendra Modi government at the Centre “before it completes its five-year term.” He also accused the BJP of conspiring to tarnish his image through I-T raids and making “frivolous allegations” against his sons and daughter.“Listen, BJP/RSS people, Lalu will drag you off your seat in Delhi, whatever be my situation… Get this straight… don’t you dare threaten me,” tweeted Lalu Prasad. ‘Where’s the proof?’ On the recent Income Tax raids against his family members and others in connection with several “dubious” land deals, Mr. Prasad’s second tweet asked: “Chapa…Chapa…Chapa…Chapa…kiska Chapa? Kisko Chapa? Chapa to hum marenge 2019 mein…Main dusron ka hausla digata hun, mera kaun digayega (Raid…Raid… Raid… whose raid? Who is being raided? … I’ll do a raid in 2019…I make others nervous, who will make me nervous?). Mr. Prasad asked the media to name the 22 places where Income Tax officials had conducted raids. “How did they [the media] report without any verification or evidence,” he asked. Speaking to a select group of journalists in Patna, the RJD chief said the Modi government had completed three years. “But it’s not going to complete its full five-year term… The BJP has been conspiring to tarnish Lalu’s reputation… How can my family and I become super rich and others remain paupers .. It’s all part of a political conspiracy.” Mr. Prasad said he, his wife and two sons had been filing I-T returns and had also submitted affidavits on their assets to the Election Commission. “It’s all in the public domain.” Mr. Prasad said Mr. Modi was trying to divide the country. “But we won’t let him divide the country … I’m standing rock solid in their path.” Pan-India campaignThe RJD chief said he had called a “BJP bhagao, Desh bachao” rally in Patna on August 27. “I have invited top leaders of all non-BJP parties to my grand rally…leaders like Congress president Sonia Gandhi, H.D. Deve Gowda, Arvind Kejriwal, Mayawati, Akhilesh Yadav, Mamata Banerjee and Karunanidhi will attend the rally from where we will launch a pan-India campaign to uproot them [BJP] from the Centre,” Mr. Prasad said.He also raised the issues of beef ban and the volatile situation in Jammu and Kashmir. “Modi talks about beef ban, but in the last three years India has been the largest exporter of beef… In Kashmir, bodies of soldiers are being mutilated every day…Are these the real achievements of the Modi government?”
A police constable was on Saturday killed and several others injured in Ghazipur district of Uttar Pradesh in stone-pelting after clashes broke out during a protest by members of the Nishad Party. Eleven persons were arrrested and several have been detained for questioning. There are over 90 persons named in the FIR, including 30 named as accused.Constable Suresh Vats was returning from his duty at the rally of Prime Minister Narendra Modi when the incident took place under the Nonhara area of the Purvanchal district. Yesh Veer Singh, SP Ghazipur, said the constable was killed when the protestors started pelting stones as the police were “trying to clear the roadblock” created by them. The protestors had blocked roads at four places near the venue, he said. The constable succumbed to his injuries.Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath took cognizance of the matter and announced an ex-gratia compensation of Rs 40 lakh to the family of the constable. He also directed the district magistrate and SSP to “take strict action against the unruly elements and immediate arrest and legal action against them,” a government statement said. Sanjay Nishad, president of the Nishad Party, demanded a detailed police investigation into the incident. “The BJP is trying to defame us with wrong allegations,” he said.Praveen Nishad, MP of Gorakhpur, and leader of the Nishad Party while talking to The Hindu said Nishad Party had no role in the violence. He claimed activists of the party were staging a peaceful dharna when members of the BJP who were returning from the rally in vehicles started chasing and attacking the Nishad activists.”Due to the attack, local villagers came to the support of our workers and this led to an altercation. The incident regarding the constable (stone-pelting) took place through the BJP workers,” said Mr. Nishad.The Nishads were demanding issuing of SC certificates for their caste under the name Majwar and implementation of a 2016 notifcation brought under the Akhilesh Yadav government, said Mr. Nishad. “The present government is not giving us the certificates even though it is still valid,” said the MP. Nishads are among the 17 most-backward castes in UP who have been over the years struggling for SC status.
DETROIT — The Detroit Red Wings’ come-from-behind effort lifted coach Mike Babcock to a new career milestone.Darren Helm and the Red Wings rallied the night of Dec. 6 to top the New York Rangers 3-2 and secure Babcock’s 500th victory.Helm’s wrist shot past Cam Talbot broke a 2-2 tie midway through the third period and capped a three-goal comeback that lifted the Red Wings to their second straight win. Jimmy Howard had 27 saves.Talbot made 31 saves for the Rangers, who lost after a four-day layoff.Detroit was shorthanded for more than five minutes late in the third after three consecutive penalties, including Kyle Quincey’s 4-minute high-sticking offense, but allowed just three shots to keep the lead.“That was huge. It showed a lot of character by our guys. A lot of heart,” Howard said after his 13th win. “We found a way. That’s all that matters.”Rangers coach Alain Vigneault saw it differently. “Our power play guys had the opportunity to at least tie it up and didn’t get it done,” he said.Kevin Klein opened the scoring and Rick Nash added his 17 goal to send New York to the first intermission with a 2-0 lead but Detroit’s Riley Sheahan and Luke Glendening scored a minute apart in the second to tie the score.“We were in control of the game, I thought,” Rangers defenseman Dan Boyle said. “Then they get two goals in I don’t know how many seconds.”Rangers forward Carl Hagelin received a double-minor penalty early in the first for high-sticking Brendan Smith but the Red Wings managed just a single shot during the power play.The victory followed a familiar script for Detroit, which kept within reach of Atlantic Division leaders Tampa Bay and Montreal despite several games that featured poor starts.“We’ve been doing a lot of that but we’ve got to get better in the first period,” said Glendening, a fourth-liner who scored for just the third time this season. “It’s going to catch up to us eventually, having to put so much energy in the second and third periods.”Babcock’s milestone for wins tied Hall of Famer Toe Blake for 18th on the all-time list.“When you start in the league you’re hoping to coach 82 games. Just hoping to get through and not get fired. I’ve coached a lot of good players,” Babcock said. “It’s been enjoyable.“I love it as much and maybe more than the day I started and maybe they’ll let me keep doing it.”Babcock, the longest tenured coach in the NHL, led Detroit to the 2008 Stanley Cup and has guided Canada to a pair of Olympic gold medals. TweetPinShare0 Shares
Participant Media, Paramount Home Media Distribution and Google announced today that former Vice President Al Gore, chairman of The Climate Reality Project, and Participant Media Chairman and Founder Jeff Skoll will host a Google+ Conversation on the climate crisis to celebrate the seventh anniversary of the Academy Award-winning documentary An Inconvenient Truth.In a brief YouTube video released today, Vice President Gore invited people to join the Science on G+ Community and share ideas to mitigate climate change. Over the next week Gore and Skoll will engage with Google+ users on the topic and ultimately will select the five most insightful Community members to join them in a live Google+ Hangout on Air on June 11th at 2PM EDT / 11AM PDT.To celebrate the film’s seventh anniversary, An Inconvenient Truth is also now available for 99 cents on Google Play, allowing a new generation of digital viewers to join the global dialogue. Participant’s digital network, TakePart.com, will also run a special five-part editorial series on climate change that will dive deeper into the issue and its evolution beginning June 10 at takepart.com/an-inconvenient-truth. As part of the series, TakePart has also teamed with The Climate Reality Project to recommend ten climate crisis actions people can take.This Google+ Hangout on Air is the former Vice President’s first and kicks off Google+ Conversations, a new series on Google+ where everyday users have the opportunity to engage global experts in discussions on the issues that matter to them.
APTN National NewsThe Yukon has a new premier.In a landslide vote this weekend, the Yukon party chose Darrell Pasloski as their new leader.Pasloski is a Whitehorse pharmacist and businessman who has never held elected office. He ran unsuccessfully for the Conservatives in the 2008 federal election.He currently does not hold a seat in the Yukon legislative assembly.Pasloski replaces Dennis Fentie who is retiring. Fenti has led the Yukon government since 2002.Pasloski will have to call a territorial election before mid-October.As premier, he says he will focus on building a strong cabinet and working on current issues.