Here’s the top transfer-related stories in Tuesday’s newspapers…Louis van Gaal is considering a January move for Atletico Madrid defender Diego Godin after drawing up a short-list of targets to bolster Manchester United’s injury-ravaged defensive options. (Daily Telegraph)A Qatari side have bid £9.5m for Trabzonspor striker Abdul Majeed Waris. That may alert Manchester United, who have been monitoring the player. (Daily Star)Frank Lampard’s future at Manchester City is set to hinge on the club’s Champions League commitments, with Manuel Pellegrini waiting until after next week’s decisive fixture against AS Roma before considering an extension to the midfielder’s loan arrangement. (Daily Telegraph)Arsène Wenger is planning to offload Lukas Podolski and Joel Campbell when the transfer window opens next month as part of an overhaul at Arsenal. (The Times)Chelsea are keen to loan out winger Mo Salah to a Premier League club in January. Boss Jose Mourinho has indicated he wants Salah, who has not started a League match this season, to gain first-team experience in England. Everton, Sunderland, QPR and Stoke are keen. (Daily Mirror)Danny Ings is being courted by Newcastle in a cut price deal. The England U21 star is out of contract at Burnley in June and available for around £3 million in compensation, with the Geordies topping the list of interested clubs. (Daily Mirror)Burnley boss Sean Dyche, however, insists the club are not planning for the loss of Danny Ings in January — or any of their other stars. (The Sun)And here’s the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…Steven Gerrard set for MLS? New York Red Bulls tipped to launch move for Liverpool captainMadrid giants weighing up January move for Man City strike starChelsea midfielder reveals uncertainty about his futureFulham keen to tie down defensive star amid West Ham interestBlow for Arsenal! Gunners told Celtic defender will be ‘very expensive’Man United have NOT made a bid for starlet, claims FloSwansea boss slaps ‘astronomical fee’ on Liverpool targetBye? Buy? Six top class stars tipped for January transfers
Internal competition aimed at boosting sales, morale and productivity is a healthy aspect of the business world. Law enforcement is a different matter. Trying to boost sheriff’s deputies’ job performance with contests, which the sheriff’s station in Lakewood experimented with over the summer, goes too far. The division of the county Sheriff’s Department came under fire last week over station-sponsored contests to see which deputies could make the most arrests, impound the most vehicles and question the most gang members, according to a report in the Los Angeles Times. An Aug. 15 e-mail detailed “Operation Any Booking,” which was designed to encourage arrests over a 24-hour period. Though arrests in areas patrolled by the station did not increase above the monthly average that day, the technique employed by station management is something that could lead to illegitimate arrests. In fairness, the station lieutenant who wrote the e-mail said it was intended to be motivational and the only prize was “bragging rights.” He also told the newspaper that no deputies falsified a report. Meanwhile, “Operation Vehicle Impound” aimed at seizing as many cars as possible, and another competition asked deputies to question as many suspects and gang members as possible. Those activities netted increases above the averages in those categories. Police watchdog groups said the contests make a game out of the trauma of being arrested or the frustration of having a car impounded. We agree. Police work should be handled with care and caution. It should not be treated as a game. Sheriff Lee Baca said the competitions were well-intentioned but poorly executed. His assessment appears correct. There is no suggestion that deputies bent the rules of the law to win the contests. But the only incentives deputies truly need to fight crime are their paychecks and a commitment to public service. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
It was once thought that while the Denver Broncos were looking to trade Kyle Orton, if they couldn’t get a good deal they’d be happy to keep him around to backup Tim Tebow.Think again.According to Pro Football talk, Orton is due almost $9 million in 2011, meaning he could be just a bit expensive to keep around as a backup. So, a trade may not only be an idea, but a necessity.Enter the Cardinals. They are looking for a new quarterback, and Orton is generally thought to be option 1-B to Kevin Kolb’s 1-A. And, depending on what the Eagles’ asking price is, Orton could find himself in the top spot. What an MLB source said about the D-backs’ trade haul for Greinke Comments Share Top Stories Cardinals expect improving Murphy to contribute right away Nevada officials reach out to D-backs on potential relocation D-backs president Derrick Hall: Franchise ‘still focused on Arizona’