Feb 9 • 2019 Ram 2500 HD gets accessorized with Mopar goodies Chicago Auto Show 2019 Mazda 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything better Orange you glad it’s time for a 30th Anniversary Edition Mazda MX-5 Miata? Feb 8 • Ram’s Multifunction Tailgate can open like French doors Post a comment Feb 8 • 2019 Chicago Auto Show recap: Big debuts from Mazda, Toyota, Subaru and more Feb 8 • Ram’s Multifunction Tailgate adds a 60-40 split 2020 Hyundai Palisade review: Posh enough to make Genesis jealous • 42 Photos Mazda 2020 Kia Telluride review: Kia’s new SUV has big style and bigger value Tags Convertibles Sports Cars Share your voice See All Enlarge ImageEvery 30th Anniversary Miata wears Racing Orange paint. Mazda Mazda unveiled its 30th Anniversary Edition MX-5 Miata on Thursday morning here at the Chicago Auto Show, and just four hours after the order books opened, the entire US allocation was spoken for. Only 3,000 examples of the 30th Anniversary Edition Miata will be built for global consumption, and just 500 were earmarked for the US.All of the cars were reserved via Mazda’s pre-order site, and since no money has actually changed hands, there’s still a chance some buyers will drop out. To that end, Mazda is allowing people to add their name to a wait list.The 30th Anniversary Edition package builds off the fully loaded MX-5 Miata Grand Touring trim, and comes painted in a unique Racing Orange color. Inside, Recaro seats have orange stitching, and the new color makes its way to upgraded brakes at all four corners.Other 30th Anniversary goodies include dark-finish, 17-inch Rays wheels and Bilstein dampers (the latter only on manual transmission models). Both the standard Miata and the retractable hardtop RF can be ordered in 30th Anniversary guise, priced at $34,995 and $37,595, respectively.Like all 2019 model year Miatas, the 30th Anniversary Edition is powered by a 2.0-liter I4 engine, with 181 horsepower and 151 pound-feet of torque. A six-speed manual transmission is standard, though the limited-run Miata can be optioned with a six-speed automatic, for a couple hundred bucks more.It’s unclear just how many of the US-allocated Miatas are roadsters and how many are RFs, or how many — if any — are left for the rest of the world. Stay tuned for more details as we get them. 0 reading • The US-spec Mazda Miata 30th Anniversary Edition sold out in 4 hours Chicago Auto Show 2019 More From Roadshow
The Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) on Wednesday turned down the verdict in the 21 August grenade attack cases, saying it has been given at the ‘behest of the government’ with a political motive, reports UNB.“BNP thinks that the verdict is a politically motivated one. It’s a naked manifestation of satisfying government’s political vengeance,” said BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir.Speaking at a press conference at BNP’s Naya Paltan central office, he said, “We reject the verdict.”Fakhrul also said the government has set another bad example of taking political revenge using the court.As their party acting chairman Tarique Rahman was given life imprisonment in the cases, he said it has proved that country’s no citizen has now a scope of getting justice.Earlier in the morning, after a long wait for over 14 years, a speedy trial tribunal sentenced 19 people to death and 19 others, including Tarique Rahman to life imprisonment, in two cases filed over the 21 August grenade attack on an Awami League rally in the capital in 2004.
US president Donald Trump (2nd L) speaks to members of the media as Sen. John Barrasso (R-WY) (L) and vice president Mike Pence (R) listen at the US Capitol after the weekly Republican Senate policy luncheon 9 January 2019 in Washington, DC. Photo: ReutersUS president Donald Trump stormed out of talks with Democratic congressional leaders on Wednesday over funding for a border wall with Mexico and reopening the government, complaining the meeting at the White House was “a total waste of time.”On the 19th day of a partial government shutdown caused by the dispute over the wall, a short meeting that included Trump, House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer ended in acrimony with no sign of a resolution.”Just left a meeting with Chuck and Nancy, a total waste of time,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier?” Trump wrote. “Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!”Exasperated Democrats called Trump’s behavior a “temper tantrum” and said the meeting broke down when they refused to commit to funding his proposed southern border wall. Trump’s desire for a wall between the United States and Mexico was a central theme of his 2016 presidential campaign.”It was a petulant president of the United States,” Pelosi told reporters when she returned to the Capitol. “A person who would say: ‘I’ll keep government shut down for weeks, months or years unless I get my way.’ That’s just not the way democracy works, and so it’s very sad.”Schumer said Trump had had “a temper tantrum.” The lawmaker told reporters: “That is sad and unfortunate. We want to come to an agreement. We believe in border security. We have different views.”The breakdown in talks could strengthen the possibility that Trump will declare a national emergency to build a wall on the southern border if no deal with Congress can be reached on his request for $5.7 billion for the project.Earlier on Wednesday, Trump said he had the authority to declare a national emergency that would let him pay for the wall with military funds. Vice president Mike Pence told reporters Trump was still considering that option.Asked what Trump had gained by walking out, Pence said: “I think the president made his position very clear today: that there will be no deal without a wall.”Shortly after the White House meeting broke up, the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives passed legislation to end a partial shutdown of the Treasury Department and some other agencies that have been closed since 22 December, without money for the wall.But there was no indication that the Senate, controlled by Trump’s fellow Republicans, would allow a vote on the bill.Democrats are eager to force Republicans to choose between funding the Treasury’s Internal Revenue Service – at a time when it should be gearing up to issue tax refunds to millions of Americans – and voting to keep it partially shuttered.In a countermove, the Trump administration said that even without a new shot of funding, the IRS would somehow make sure those refund checks get sent.The National Treasury Employees Union filed suit on Wednesday challenging the administration’s authority to force federal employees to work without pay.Trump attended a lunch meeting of Senate Republicans on Wednesday and emerged to declare unwavering support for the tough stance he has taken on funds for the wall.Asked if he got the impression in the meeting that the shutdown would end soon, Republican Senator Tim Scott said: “I did not. I think we’re going to be here a while.”Democratic TacticsPelosi plans more votes this week that one by one would provide money to operate departments ranging from Homeland Security and Justice to State, Agriculture, Commerce and Labor.Able to get the bills through the House because of the Democratic majority, Pelosi is hoping some Senate Republicans back her up and abandon Trump’s wall gambit.The political maneuvering comes amid a rising public backlash over the suspension of government activities that has resulted in the layoffs of hundreds of thousands of federal workers.Other “essential” employees are being required to report to work, but without pay for the time being.On Thursday, Trump travels to the border to highlight what he calls an immigration “crisis.” He delivered his first prime-time television address from the Oval Office on Tuesday to make his case for the border wall.The funding fight stems from Congress’ inability to complete work by a deadline last September on funding all government agencies. It did, however, appropriate money for about 75 per cent of the government on time – mainly military and health-related programs.US airport security workers and air traffic controllers working without pay have warned that security and safety could be compromised if the shutdown continues, but the Trump administration said staffing was adequate and travelers had not faced unusual delays.Union officials said some TSA officers had already quit because of the shutdown and many were considering quitting.Ratings agency Fitch warned that it could cut the US triple-A sovereign debt credit rating later this year if the shutdown proves prolonged and Congress fails to raise the legal limit on the national debt in a timely manner.
Share Tuesday, August 6, 2019Top afternoon stories:Gail Delaughter/Houston Public MediaThis 2015 file photo shows a construction zone at the intersection of the Grand Parkway and the Hardy Toll Road.Local Leaders Support State Funding For Grand ParkwayAfter years in the planning stages, the Texas Transportation Commission is now thinking about removing part of the Grand Parkway from its 10-year funding plan, known as the Unified Transportation Program.The proposed section they’re considering defunding is the part that would run from I-69 near Sugar Land to I-45 at League City.Local leaders planned to speak at a Tuesday public hearing about their need for the Grand Parkway, especially as the region’s population grows. One of those signed up to speak is John Baumgartner, City Manager for League City. “The Grand Parkway has been part of the planning process as a toll facility for a number of years,” said Baumgartner.Friendswood State Senator Larry Taylor posted on social media that he’s been working with the commission and feels confident the roadway will be funded. The Houston-Galveston Area Council’s Transportation Policy Council has also passed a resolution asking that the project be kept in the Unified Transportation Program.Catherine Fusillo/ Houston Public MediaThe Montrose Center broke ground on a new LGBTQ-affirming senior living center.Upcoming Affordable LGBTQ-Affirming Senior Living CenterThe Montrose Center broke ground Tuesday on a new senior living center aimed at low-income LGBTQ residents in Houston’s Third Ward. The project, founded in part by former Houston Mayor Annise Parker, is open to seniors 62 years old and over. Parker says that she was inspired to get involved in the project when she visited a similar center in Los Angeles.The Montrose Center also said in a press release that they hope the center will “support seniors, regardless of their gender identity or sexual orientation.”The project has been funded in part by $5 million that was raised from the community, and the lot that the facility will be built on was donated by the Midtown Redevelopment Authority.Erin Tobz via TwitterOn August 3, 2019, two Galveston Police officers led Donald Neely by rope after arresting him for alleged trespassing.Backlash Against Galveston Police Over Arrestee Led By RopeGalveston’s police chief is apologizing after two of his officers, mounted on horseback, led a handcuffed suspect by a rope through downtown streets.Photos of the Saturday incident went viral on social media. The two officers linked the rope to handcuffs worn by 43-year-old Donald Neely, who was being detained for criminal trespass and led him around the block to a mounted patrol staging area.In a statement sent out on Monday, Police Chief Vernon Hale said “this is a trained technique and best practice in some scenarios,” such as with crowd control. However, he said he believes his officers “showed poor judgment in this instance and could have waited for a transport unit at the location of arrest.”He said his department has “immediately changed the policy” to prevent use of the technique.Houston Police Dept. via APDerion Vence.New Charge Against Derion Vence In Maleah Davis CaseHarris County prosecutors have filed a more serious charge against Derion Vence in the case of Maleah Davis’ death. The 4-year-old girl was reported missing in May and was later found dead in Arkansas.Vence, ex fiancee of Davis’ mother, has been charged with causing serious bodily injury to a child. The count against Vence carries a potential life sentence. He is scheduled to appear in court on the new charge on Wednesday.The Harris County District Attorney’s Office said in statement sent out on Monday that “after a review of all of the evidence, including the autopsy results,” prosecutors determined there was enough evidence to charge Vence with the more serious count.District attorney’s office spokesman Dane Schiller said the investigation in the case continues and a potential murder charge against Vence is “not off the table.”