Alex Smith has said it. The former 49ers quarterback who suffered a grisly double fracture (tibia, fibula) in his right leg in November while playing for the NFL’s Washington franchise, has stated his intent to return to the playing field.“That’s the plan,” Smith recently told Angie Goff of Fox 5 DC (see the entire interview here). “I’m looking forward to (walking on a playing field). I’ve got to conquer more steps before I get there.”Smith’s 4-year, $94 million extension signed with …
Olympic silver medallist P V Sindhu Thursday opened her campaign in the 83rd Senior National Badminton Championship with a straight game win over Nagpur’s Malvika Bansod to enter the women’s singles quarterfinals here.A former champion, Sindhu took time to get into the groove before claiming a 21-11 21-13 win over Malvika, who is a gold medallist at the South Asian U-21 Championship in Nepal and a runner-up at Khelo India Games.Like last year, the top eight players of the competition on the combined basis of world and domestic rankings were given direct entry into the singles pre-quarterfinals for which a Super Draw was held Wednesday night.Day 3 Match Updates:Olympic Silver Medalist, @Pvsindhu1 scaled through to the quarter-finals of Yonex Sunrise 83rd Senior Nationals, she defeated #MalvikaBansod 21-11;21-13 in the pre-quarters. #IndiaontheRIse #SeniorNationals2019 pic.twitter.com/sgy6f8kVrIBAI Media (@BAI_Media) February 14, 2019Malvika made a dream start, moving to a 4-0 lead. Soon Sindhu clawed her way back to level the scores with a push at the backcourt.Sindhu eventually grabbed an 11-7 advantage at the break. She continued to force the younger shuttler to commit errors.At 19-11, Sindhu unleashed a couple of smashes to seal the first game.In the second game, Sindhu was ahead 9-2 with Malvika committing unforced errors. The Hyderabadi went to the break with an 11-4 lead.Malvika played well in the rallies but lacked the finishing touch, committing unforced errors as Sindhu eventually wrapped up her pre-quarterfinal match in 35 minutes with a precise return at the forecourt.advertisementAlso Read | Lakshya Sen eyes top 30 ranking by year endAlso Read | All England Badminton Championships 2019: Sindhu, Saina, Srikanth handed tough drawsAlso See:
Morris turns sight on RaidersJosh Morris speaks about the Canterbury Bulldogs but reminisces about winning a NSWTA Junior State Cup title with the Kiama Stingrays. http://www.nrl.com/morris-turns-sight-on-raiders/tabid/10959/contentid/574984/embed/4zOWh1ZDpTiWAbmaqqo5D-KJFLNPEJbq/default.aspx#ooid=4zOWh1ZDpTiWAbmaqqo5D-KJFLNPEJbq Johnson’s amazing skillsShaun Johnson has produced some quality football in his career thus far, but it all began with a similar game, touch footy.http://www.nrl.com/johnsons-amazing-skills/tabid/10959/contentid/574542/embed/d2dTR1ZDrEJ8mJmnAg8F7XelhgNGHULv/default.aspx#ooid=d2dTR1ZDrEJ8mJmnAg8F7XelhgNGHULv NRL and Touch Football join forcesThe National Rugby League and Touch Football Australia have today launched an historic sporting partnership representing the biggest boost to participation and game development in the history of either sport.http://www.nrl.com/nrl-and-touch-football-join-forces/tabid/10959/contentid/575060/embed/9xNWl1ZDqlPJYckWAGQbMMDSqgykQCsR/default.aspx#ooid=9xNWl1ZDqlPJYckWAGQbMMDSqgykQCsR Touch Football has gotten many mentions in the media and enclosed are some videos of these interactions.Sydney Morning HeraldTouch and tackleSonny Bill Williams playing touch footy with singer Jessica Mauboy and other NRL stars to promote the alliance between the NRL and Touch Football Australia. http://media.smh.com.au/system/ipad/touch-and-tackle-4657926.html Canberra RaidersNRL & Touch Football Australia join forcesRaiders CEO Don Furner and ACT Touch representatives Tim Spence and Rebecca Beath discuss their excitement surrounding the announcement that the NRL and Touch Football Australia has joined forces.http://www.nrl.com/nrl-touch-football-australia-join-forces/tabid/10959/contentid/575064/embed/9rN2l1ZDo7VwNN61j189bBpyFIoN-q-5/default.aspx#ooid=9rN2l1ZDo7VwNN61j189bBpyFIoN-q-5 Smith on Touch Football and ASADANRL CEO David Smith says the alliance between NRL and Touch Football Australia is an important step in growing the game. http://www.nrl.com/smith-on-touch-football-and-asada/tabid/10959/contentid/574991/embed/1tZ2h1ZDopNEcTurdg4lY8eItXIeOU2S/default.aspx#ooid=1tZ2h1ZDopNEcTurdg4lY8eItXIeOU2S The Phil Gould ShowInjuries across the competition, the partnership with Touch Football Australia and Sam Burgess’ “squirrel griphttp://media.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-league/the-phil-gould-show-4660405.htmlNational Rugby LeagueSignificant point in history: MaguireTouch Football Australia CEO Colm Maguire speaks about the alliance between the NRL and Touch Football Australia.http://www.nrl.com/significant-point-in-history-maguire/tabid/10959/contentid/574992/embed/JzaWh1ZDrPOKJxpIa5rkNEiAAamZHJJp/default.aspx#ooid=JzaWh1ZDrPOKJxpIa5rkNEiAAamZHJJp North Queensland CowboysCowboys welcome touch partnershipThe Cowboys have marked the historic sporting partnership between the National Rugby League and Touch Football Australia by inviting four of the north’s best touch players to NRL training at Cowboys HQhttp://www.cowboys.com.au/?nvId=575406Related LinksTouch in NRL Videos
TagsTransfersLoan MarketAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say AC Milan director Maldini: Bakayoko, Higuain deals dependent on…by Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAC Milan director Paolo Maldini admits their transfer policy will be dependent on Champions League qualification.Milan are skirting the boundaries of UEFA’s Financial Fair Play laws.“We’re absolutely convinced we can get fourth place,” Maldini told reporters at Milanello.“We’re not happy with how things have gone this month, of course, when we’ve had a lot of injuries and therefore great difficulty in terms of numbers.“Despite that we expected more, and [Coach Gennaro] Gattuso knows that too. We need to change the attitude during the game, we can’t lie down and we can’t look for sixth.”(Chelsea midfielder Tiemoue) Bakayoko and (Juventus striker Gonzalo) Higuain? We’ve been clear with the players: the Champions League is binding.”
Galatasaray striker Florin Andone insists he’d make Brighton returnby Paul Vegas4 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveGalatasaray striker Florin Andone insists he’d be willing to return to parent club BrightonAndone is on a straight loan at Gala and has admitted frustration with his 12 months in England.Though he told AS: “I was misunderstood and I want to make it clear. My year there was not what I expected. I missed that they had confidence in me, I didn’t play more than two consecutive games as a starter. I don’t ask to play every game, because I’m not a megacrack, I just want continuity. “mI came to doubt myself, my abilities, if I really had a level for the Premier… There were many disappointments. It’s not that I don’t want to go back, I respect Brighton, they signed me for six years and they are worrying about me. I just want to feel like a footballer. “It all starts by recovering my best version and being happy.” TagsTransfersLoan MarketAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
National titleCollege football fans are likely happy with Michigan’s quick turnaround under Jim Harbaugh – simply because a good Wolverines team makes the sport more interesting. But apparently, a lot of them are actually starting to believe that UM can both reach this year’s College Football Playoff and – wait for it – win it all too.According to ESPN’s David Payne Purdum, the top five teams by number of bets to win the national title at the Las Vegas SuperBook are Michigan, Ohio State, LSU, Clemson and Alabama. That’s right – the Wolverines are getting the most bets to win it all.Of course – that’s a product of both hype and odds. As of February 1, Michigan was a 12-1 bet to win it all. Alabama was tops, at 6:1.Top 5 teams to win the college football national title by number of bets @LVSuperBook: 1. Michigan 2. Ohio St 3. LSU 4. Clemson 5. Alabama— David Payne Purdum (@DavidPurdum) May 20, 2016Oklahoma and Baylor are the teams with the best odds that aren’t part of the list, for what it’s worth.If Michigan does win it all, Las Vegas is going to have a rough night. We’ll find out.
TORONTO – A tax cut for Ontario’s small businesses will not fully offset the impact of an increasing minimum wage, the premier said Wednesday as business groups criticized the provincial government for not providing enough support to deal with the hike.While the province had said for months that help for small businesses was on the way, Wynne said measures revealed in the province’s fall economic update were not meant to fully balance out the impact of the Liberal government’s plan to raise minimum wage to $15 a hour.“There was never a commitment to offset the increases in minimum wage,” Wynne said. “I was very clear that that was not something that we were going to be able to do, but we want our small businesses to be strong. We want them to be able to thrive. So that’s why we’ve put a number of supports in place.”The province will cut the corporate tax rate for small businesses from 4.5 per cent to 3.5 per cent effective Jan. 1, 2018, the same day it increases its minimum wage from $11.60 to $14. The government’s plan will eventually see minimum wage jump to $15 an hour by Jan. 1, 2019.The province will also designate that one-third of its procurement spending on goods and services will come from small and medium-sized businesses by 2020. And it will spend $124 million over three years to help companies with fewer than 100 employees who hire youths aged 15 to 29. The government will pay incentives of $1,000 for each worker hired and another $1,000 for each worker retained for at least six months by a small business.Wynne said the government will have to assess the impact of the wage increase as it continues to roll out.“When I talk to those business owners they talk to me about job retention, they talk to me about loyalty and quality of work and all of those things that are really important to a business,” she said. “So I think they would say that there’s a net benefit to paying their employees well.”Minister for Small Business Jeff Leal said the minimum wage hike will have some positive benefits for small business, he said.“We do know that people who make minimum wage take those dollars and re-invest them instantaneously back into the economy,” he said. “Many of the businesses they spend that money at are small businesses in the province of Ontario.”But some business groups said the government’s supports fell short.Jocelyn Bamford, founder of the Coalition of Concerned Manufacturers, said her group was “stunned” that the fall economic statement offered what she characterized as little help for businesses to adjust to the new minimum wage after saying for months support was on the way.“We wonder if the government is in denial of the damage they will cause the economy or if they just don’t care about jobs in the province,” Bamford said in a statement.The Canadian Federation of Independent Business said small business owners are very frustrated, very angry” with the government over the planned wage rise, which it urged the province to slow down.“They still have the time to put the brakes on this,” said vice president Plamen Petkov. “Do a full economic analysis. Get it right. Determine what is the right amount and what is the right timeline to increase the minimum wage and then go ahead with it.”Meanwhile, the Ontario Chamber of Commerce said it was shifting its focus to the 2018 spring budget where it thinks the government could offer further supports for business.“We think the impact of this new legislation will be felt pretty quickly in the new year,” he said. “We need to be able to address some of those concerns or else we’re putting ourselves in a very challenging position … we need to look forward to the budget to see how we can contend with some of those new cost burdens.”A number of studies conducted by third parties have estimated the minimum wage increase will slow the number of jobs produced by Ontario’s economy in the coming years.The province’s economic watchdog, the Financial Accountability Office, has estimated more than 50,000 people could lose their jobs due to the minimum wage increase. And an analysis from the Keep Ontario Working Coalition concluded over 185,000 jobs could be impacted by the hike.However, many economists support the government move, saying hiking the minimum wage boosts economic activity and increases people’s purchasing power.
UPDATE – The Amber Alert has been cancelled and the children have been located.FOX CREEK, A.B. – Alberta RCMP have issued an Amber Alert for three children that were taken early Saturday morning in Fox Creek.At 1:30 am this morning, 4-year-old Isabella Darnel, 3-year-old Elijah Darnel, 9-month-old Arlo Darnel, are believed to be abducted from their home in Fox Creek. All three children have blonde hair and blue eyes. Isabella Darnel is wearing a purple nighty with peach pyjama pants. It is believed that the three children were abducted by their mother Charmaine Darnel.Charmaine Darnel is five feet, 8 inches tall, 230 pounds, blonde hair, green eyes. They were last seen leaving a residence in Fox Creek driving a 2014, medium grey Dodge Ram pickup truck, Alberta licence plate B W Z 8 6 4 5. The vehicle was last seen leaving Fox Creek, heading south towards Edmonton.Photos have yet to be releasedPlease contact the RCMP at Fox Creek at 780-622-3740 or 9 1 1 if you have any information.
CALGARY, A.B. – The Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers is projecting Canadian crude oil production will increase by 1.27 million barrels per day to 5.86 million by 2035.The association’s latest forecast predicts total production in Western Canada will reach 5.76 million barrels per day in 2035 compared with 4.36 million in 2018.Production in Eastern Canada is forecast to peak at 354,000 barrels per day in 2026 before falling to about 91,000 barrels per day in 2035. The report noted that capital spending in the oilsands this year is set to fall for a fifth consecutive year to roughly $12 billion.Overall, capital investment across Canada’s oil and natural gas industry is forecast to fall to $37 billion in 2019.The report said pipeline constraints, a lack of market diversity, and inefficient regulations are largely responsible for holding back the oil sector.
Kolkata: Kolkata Knight Riders’ impact player Andre Russell was forced to skip the practice session on Thursday, owing to a shoulder injury sustained while batting in the nets on Wednesday. KKR will take on Royal Challengers Bangalore in an IPL game on Friday and Russell’s possible absence could pave the way for Carlos Brathwaite’s inclusion in the playing XI. The Barbados all-rounder, who is KKR’s costliest pick of Rs 5 crore at the auctions, played only one match for KKR, against Delhi Capitals here that they lost by seven wickets. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over ChandigarhFretting over Russell’s fitness, KKR skipper Karthik however did not rule out the Jamaican who has been a revelation with six explosive 40-plus scores on the trot. “He’s got a preliminary X ray yesterday and it’s not even be 24 hours. By tomorrow, we will a get much better idea as to how he feels,” Karthik said of Russell. It was during the fag end of the practice on Wednesday that Russell failed to negotiate a rising delivery from net bowler Minad Manjrekar and fell on the ground, writhing in pain. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced laterIt was the same left shoulder where Russell was hit by a Harshal Patel delivery during KKR’s match against Delhi Capitals at the Kotla. Russell had also suffered a wrist injury in their away match against Chennai as it remains to be seen whether the team will risk playing the Jamaican. KKR have suffered a hat-trick of losses as Karthik urged his batsmen and bowlers to buck up. “I’m not going to shy away from the fact that we can bat better a little better definitely and definitely bowl a little better.” Meanwhile, RCB top order batsman AB de Villiers also skipped the training, while skipper Virat Kohli took a few throw-downs from coach Gary Kirsten after a game of football. Rejuvenated by a World Cup call-up, Karthik would be eager to impress India captain Virat Kohli and also arrest the Kolkata Knight Riders’ three game losing streak, when they lock horns with Royal Challengers Bangalore in an Indian Premier League clash here on Friday. In their first-leg clash in Bengaluru, Russell made all the difference with a whirlwind 13-ball 48 to drag KKR out of the woods and guide them to a remarkable five-wicket win. While Russell’s availability is a big concern for the home side who have not won in their last three matches, and placed sixth in the points table, there would be no shortage of inspiration for 33-year-old Karthik. Kohli has his own problems as far as RCB is concerned with the team all but out of the competition if they lose on Friday. Rock-bottom in the table with just one win from eight matches, RCB just haven’t been in the groove this year. From the remaining six games, they would have to win all to give themselves any chance of a playoff berth. Kohli has also not led from the front, cutting a forlorn figure on the field more often than not and also failing to fire with the bat. The team’s main problem has been their bowling which has been poor to say the least, except for Yuzvendra Chahal. In KKR, they would face an opponent hungry to return to winning ways after losing back-to-back home games.